Explore the world of dessert pizzas with this delicious fall inspired apple pizza topped with a brown sugar oatmeal crumb and simple glaze
I have been dreaming of this recipe since last year and am so excited it finally came together! I combined my two favorite things – pizza + dessert to create this mouth watering Apple Oatmeal Crumb Pizza! This fall inspired dessert pizza turned out more delicious than I ever imagined.
Eating dessert used to be one of my favorite pastimes. My family can verify that for sure! I still love to eat sweet treats, but try to do it a bit less often and choose slightly less sweetened options. The crust for the pizza is made from a traditional thin pizza crust, so it contains minimal to none added sugars. Additionally part of the sweetness for this recipe comes from the natural sweetness within the apples. There is certainly some added sugar in this recipe with the brown sugar, but the amount is kept in check.
My spiralizer has been getting a lot of use lately, so of course, I had to use it for this recipe. I used the largest blade on the spiralizer to create thin wide apple slices. To keep things simple I decided to skip removing the skin of the apple (which is why the pictures almost look like a berry crumble). I also chose red apples because that is what was in the fridge, but you may consider Granny Smith apples for a slightly more tart flavoring.
I used my pizza stone to create the optimal crunchy pizza crust. To ensure the crust gets well cooked, it’s important to pre-cook the pizza crust for about 5 minutes prior to putting the toppings on. Another key tip is to use corn meal (definitely not non-stick cooking spray) to prevent the pizza from sticking to the stone.
Sadly, I believe this will be the last apple recipe for the season! If you haven’t realized it’s like the third consecutive apple recipe to be posted on the blog! Sorry not sorry! Hopefully, you didn’t miss the Spiralized Apple Peanut Butter Salad or Peanut Butter Apple Cereal Bars. It’s time to make way for the pumpkin recipes!
Your Family’s Dietitian,
Apple Oatmeal Crumb Pizza
- 1 medium thin crust pizza dough
- 2 small apples
- 6 tbsp brown sugar divided use
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter divided use
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp old fashion rolled oats
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove pizza dough from refrigerator and if not already flattened, use a rolling pin to roll out to form a thin crust. Let pizza crust sit until room temperature while you prepare the remainder of pizza.
2. Use a spiralizer to slice the apples into thin slices (the large blade works best). If you don't have a spiralizer can cut into think slices.
3. In a medium saucepan melt 1 tbsp butter, apple slices, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp brown sugar. Cook until apples are soft and a gooey sauce forms on apples.
5. Spray a pizza pan or cookie tray with non-stick cooking spray. Place pizza on tray. Cook pizza crust for about 5 minutes.
6. While pizza crust is cooking prepare the crumb. Cut butter into small cubes, mix in 2 tbsp brown sugar, flour, oats, pinch of salt, and pinch of cinnamon. Mix together with a fork (may need to mash together with a fork) and using hands pinch together.
7. Remove pizza crust from oven. Top with apples and then crumb topping. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until slightly browned.
8. While pizza is cooling mix powdered sugar and water until well combined. Spoon into a small ziploc bag. Cut a small corner of bag to create a pastry bag. Drizzle glaze over pizza.
Pin for Later: