Your family is sure to love this no bake fall inspired recipe for Peanut Butter Apple Cereal Bars. The recipe can be prepared in a matter of minutes and is perfect for an after school snack or sweet treat following dinner.
Since it is starting to feel like fall here in the South I thought it was only appropriate to share a fall inspired recipe with you today! Although summer seemed to end abruptly and these cooler temps are not normal here in Georiga, I am trying to embrace the moment and enjoy.
These Peanut Butter Apple Cereal Bars are a simple straightforward recipe and only require a few ingredients. In fact most of the ingredients like peanut butter, honey, and cereal you likely already have stocked in the pantry. I decided to use a Cheerio type cereal, but you could certainly use your favorite low-sugar cereal variety. The dehydrated apples may be the one ingredient you don’t have laying around the house. While you could make your own dehydrated apples, to keep things simple I would suggest purchasing the pre-made ones. Most grocers carry dehydrated apples with the snack foods or other packaged dried fruits.
Of note, if you did want to dehydrate your own, slice a few apples and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for several hours. For a little extra flavor sprinkle with cinnamon before baking.
The outcome of these bars is a chewy bar rich in peanut butter flavor with minimal amounts of added sugar. To keep sugar amounts in check try to purchase peanut butter with no added sugar. To confirm the peanut butter you purchase is natural check the ingredients – at most you should see peanuts and salt listed as the ingredients. I did add a little bit of honey to the recipe, but depending on your desired sweetness and health preferences you could tailor that amount. The apple pieces also provide the bars with an additional hint of sweetness.
To up the presentation game of these bars, I decided to top the bars with dehydrated apple rings. You could definitely use your imagination with the toppings and even add more crunch with granola or nuts if desired. My first thought was just to chop up the apple and sprinkle on top, but I couldn’t pass up the apple rings.
Your Family’s Dietitian,
Peanut Butter Apple Cheerio Bars
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (9 square bars)
- 3 cups plain Cheerios or similar cereal
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon butter, cut into fourths
- 3/4 cup dehydrated apples, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dehydrated apples for top of bars
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- cinnamon to sprinkle on top of bars
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Spray an 8″ x 8″ glass or metal baking pan with non-stick cooking spray
2. Add peanut butter to a medium microwaveable safe bowl. Microwave on medium power for about 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir well.
3. Add butter and honey to bowl and microwave for another 25-30 seconds on medium power or until melted. Mix well.
4. Stir in cinnamon, dehydrated apple, and cereal.
5. Spoon into the pan and spread evenly. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to level out cereal.
6. Top with remaining apple slices or pieces and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
7. Remove from refrigerator and cut into 9 squares.