Low carb beef zucchini enchiladas are a delicious and healthier dish made by wrapping zucchini slices around a slightly spicy beef filling topped with cheese.
I am officially sharing the recipe for these Low Carb Zucchini Beef Enchiladas today! You may have seen my teaser over on Instragram a few days ago. It was fun to see all of the excitement over the recipe – plus it encouraged me to post it quickly!
Since making the recipe a few days ago I have enjoyed leftovers for several lunch and dinners. I obviously can’t seem to get enough of these delicious and healthier enchiladas. Dont get me wrong I absolutely love a good flour or corn tortilla served as a part of a taco, enchilada, or burrito — but today’s recipe for Low Carb Zucchini Beef Enchilada is an amazing healthier alternative.
You will be surprised by how easy this recipe is to make. When I initially brainstromed the the idea my main concern was how long it would take to peel the zucchini and roll it into the enchiladas. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to peel the zucchini. You will need a “Y slicer” to create thinly sliced zucchini. I would also suggest to keep the slices relatively thin so they can be rolled easily. Keep in mind the thickness of a traditional tortilla.
And the zucchinni slices roll up so easily too! After you place a spoon full of the beef mixture near the end of the overlapping zucchini slices you just roll up the zucchini around the mixture. Check out my video at the end of the bost to see how simple it really is to slice the zucchinni!
Did I mention these were family approved?! I wasn’t sure how the family would react to the substitution of zucchini for tortillas, but they were just as excited about the recipes as I was. A win all around!
Your Family’s Dietitian,
Low Carb Beef Zucchini Enchiladas
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients (10 mini enchiladas)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tbsp onion, chopped
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/3-1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- salt to taste
- optional: chopped green chilies
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add ground beef and salt to taste and cook on medium heat until no longer pink (about 5-10 minutes).
3. While the beef is browning prepare zucchini slices. Use a “Y vegetable peeler” to slice the zucchini into thin slices. You will need approximately 30 slices.
4. Remove skillet from stove and drain off any excess grease. Mix in half the can of enchilada sauce. If desired stir in chilies.
5. On a cutting board line up three slices of zucchini (allow them to slightly overlap). Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the beef mixture and then roll up. Gently place in baking dish. Repeat for remaining zucchini slices.
6. If desired sprinkle a small amount of salt over zucchini. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle cheese over enchiladas.
7. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.