One of my family’s traditions is brunch on Christmas day. I always look forward to the brunch, specifically an egg casserole my aunt typically prepares. The casserole includes eggs, ground pork sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, white bread, and mustard. After my aunt prepared the recipe this past year I decided I would try to make a healthier version of the recipe.
Well it has taken me 5 months to experiment with a healthier version. We had some friends in town a few weeks ago for Memorial Day and I decided to prepare the recipe as part of my brunch menu. I hope to share the entire menu with you next week! It was delicious if I must so say (but I am partial as I love brunch!).
- Turkey sausage for pork sausage
- Low fat cheese for whole milk cheese
- Egg whites for whole eggs (only substituted a portion of the eggs)
- Whole grain bread for white bread
Your family’s dietitian,
- 1 pound bulk turkey sausage (ie. Jennios)
- 6 eggs, large
- 4 egg whites, large (or 2 large eggs)
- 2 1/2 cup milk, 1% or skim
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices whole wheat (or white) bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 – 1 cup low fat (made with skim or 2% milk) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Foil muffin holders