The count down is on until Christmas day!! Only 7 days away!
The healthier cookie baking continues. Todays recipe is a makeover of a cookie I first discovered during a trip to Germany. Walking through a festive Christmas market I spotted the traditional cookie. After a few bites I was hooked onto the fruity sandwich cookie.
A few weeks ago I was in World Market and spotted the Linzer cookie set. Remembering my love for the cookie in Germany I got excited about giving the recipe a healthy makeover. With a small reduction in butter and addition of unsweetened applesauce (and reduction of sugar) I was able to create a healthier version without compromising the taste. They were approved by my family!
Not to worry if you do not have a Linzer cookie set. All you need are two cookie cutters, one significantly smaller than the other. They do not have to be the same shape – get creative!!
I spread sugar-free raspberry jam in between the two cookies, but you could use any flavor of your favorite jam.
Make sure not to miss some of my other favorite Christmas cookies.
- Healthier Sugar Cookies
- Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Pretzel Cookies
- Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Low Fat Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Your family’s dietitian,
- 2 1/2 cups enriched white flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Smart Balance Light buttery spread, softened (or butter)
- 1/3 unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional flour for rolling out cookies
- Sugar-free jam
- Powdered sugar