I typically try to stick with recipes that have less than 10 ingredients, however this is one exception. A few days ago I saw a similar recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to recreate the recipe in a healthier version. The picture of the recipe looked absolutely delicious however after reviewing the ingredients I noticed many high fat and calorie ingredients. Specifically the cookie portion of the recipe was made from store bought cookie dough. For the healthy recipe makeover making the dough from scratch was imperative.
I decided to make this recipe for one of my friend’s birthday parties. All of the guest loved the delicious treats and were astonished when I mentioned I used healthier ingredients for the recipe. Greek yogurt continues to be my favored ingredient to improve the nutrition content of my much loved recipes. For this recipe it did not disappoint.
When I did the nutritional comparison of my recipe to the original recipe I found that my recipe had approximately 1/3 less that calories and fat. A great treat for only 140 calories! Perfect for your next party!
1 1/4 cup enriched white flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter (unsalted), at room temperature
3 tablespoons light buttery spread (ie. Smart Balance light)
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chip
8 oz 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
6 oz low fat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon enriched white flour
Mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Place cupcake liners in 24 muffin pans
3. Cream together butter, buttery spread, and applesauce; add egg; add sugars and vanilla
4. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture; mix in chocolate chips
5. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes
6. While the dough is in refrigerator start cream cheese mixture; beat together cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, vanilla, egg whites, and flour
7. Once dough refrigerated spoon about 1 tablespoon of dough in center of cupcake liners (I used a small cookie scoop); repeat for remainder of dough
8. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12-14 minutes or until cookies slightly browned
9. Remove from oven and spoon about 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoon of cheesecake mixture onto cooked cookie; repeat for remainder of mixture
10. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-18 minutes; let cool and then top with caramel syrup and mini chocolate chips
11. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving; keep refrigerated.