Holiday baking has officially started in my household!!
I began with a quick and easy recipe that can be prepared by the whole family. Holiday cooking and baking is a fun activity to do with the entire family. Some of my favorite memories growing up include times during the holidays when my family members were together in the kitchen. To keep traditions within my family every year I try to make some of the same recipes I made during my childhood.
This particular recipe is not a family tradition. I happen to have a huge obsession with rice krispie treats. This year I set out to make Christmas themed rice krispie treats during my annual holiday baking. I thought candy canes were the perfect component to complete my goal of Christmas themed rice krispie treats.
Another goal was to keep the treats low in fat as I did with the Low Fat Pumpkin Rice Krisipe Treats. In fact one serving of the treats only have 1.5 gram of fat. This is definitely a low fat treat!
For the recipe I added 2 1/2 crushed candy canes. You can choose the amount that you would like depending on your desire for candy canes. I reserved a small amount to sprinkle on top.
I prepared the recipe similar to traditional rice krispie treat recipes. However in efforts to make the recipe low fat I decreased the butter and substituted some of the butter with a light buttery spread.
The finished product! Holiday themed rice krispie treats that can not be purchased in the a supermarket!
2-3 medium candy canes, crushed
4 cups mini marshmellows
5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon Smart Balance Light spread
non-stick cooking spray
1. Melt butter and butter spread in medium skillet.
2. Add marshmallows and heat on low-medium heat until completely melted.
3. Let marshmallow mixture cool for 5-10 minutes; add 3/4 of crushed candy can bits (save the remaining 1/4 to sprinkle on top)
4. Mix in cereal, stir well.
5. Spread the cereal mixture into a 9″ x 13″ glass pan (spray with non-stick cooking spray). I used the back of a spoon to flatten the cereal mixture.
6. Let cool about 1 hour before serving.