Earlier in the month MyPlate celebrated its first birthday. MyPlate was first introduced by the USDA last year to replace the previous food guide pyramids. The colorful presentation of MyPlate helps to remind people of the need for well-balanced meals that includes a variety of food groups. Although MyPlate.gov provides specific recommendations for dietary intake based on age and sex, the visual picture of MyPlate provides a general guideline on what your family should consume during a meal.
Some basic dietary principles supported by MyPlate are:
- Fruits and vegetables should be consumed at every meal (make half of your plate)
- Half of grains consumed should be whole grains (rather than refined grains)
- Calcium-rich foods are important, however dairy products consumed should be either fat-free or low-fat (1%)
- Lean protein foods should be consumed at every meal (high-fat proteins should be limited)
- Although oils provide essential nutritions, they should be consumed in moderation